Please read below an update on the Covid-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak from Prudence & Bay Islands Transport.
Update March 31st 2020
- In following the latest guidelines from State and Town authorities, there is now a limit of 5 passengers per cabin.
- The 50 passenger ferry capacity will remain in place through April 13th and may be extended beyond that date if necessary.
Update March 25th 2020
Please note the following changes to policies for customers travelling on-board PBIT vessels.
- A limit of 10 passengers per cabin has been put in place to increase distance between passengers.
- Passengers traveling in vehicles must stay in their vehicles. Restrooms remain open and available to customers but please return to your vehicle following restroom use.
- Please continue to book all reservations online or by phone to avoid the use of paper tickets. If you must use paper tickets, please show the ticket to the crew when boarding and dispose of the ticket yourself.
- We advise all customers to pay attention to the messages released to the public by the Town of Portsmouth, Town of Bristol and State of Rhode Island and to follow all guidelines regarding travel, self-quarantine, social gathering etc. The links below will direct you to the Town of Portsmouth, Town of Bristol and State of RI coronavirus information pages for the latest updates.
Please read our full statement on the Covid-19 outbreak listed below, updates on our policies regarding the virus outbreak will continue to be posted on this page. Please call our Prudence Office with any questions at 401-683-0430 and stay healthy!
The health and well-being of our customers and crew is of the utmost concern to everyone at Prudence & Bay Islands Transport. Please help us to keep fellow passengers and crew healthy during this time by following the recommendations of the CDC including frequent hand washing, maintaining social distance and minimizing unnecessary travel. We ask that whenever possible customers take the following steps to maintain social distance:
- Utilize the ticket window on the side of the Prudence Office rather than entering the office to purchase tickets and receive packages.
- Make all reservations including passenger reservations online or by calling the Prudence office at (401) 683-0430. With online and phone reservations you will be provided a bar code which can be scanned from your phone, other device or printed paper; preventing the need to exchange paper tickets.
- For package and CVS pickup, watch for a text alert for when your package or medication arrives and avoid coming during ferry arrival/departure times to receive your items.
If you are experiencing symptoms consistent with the coronavirus including fever and respiratory distress (persistent cough, difficulty breathing, etc) and need to travel on board the ferry please notify the office at 401-683-0430 so accommodations can be made for your travel.
We are listening to the advice of the Rhode Island Department of Health, the CDC, and other health agencies. We are taking many precautions to avoid contributing to the spread of the coronavirus including:
- Sanitizing all cabins, surfaces, and office spaces between morning and afternoon ferry runs and at the end of the day.
- Employee training on the importance of hand washing and utilizing hand sanitizer when water is unavailable and gloves have been provided to crew members.
- Making hand sanitizer available to employees and passengers in our ticket offices and on board the ferry.
- Following recommendations by local health agencies and the USCG we have limited the number of passengers allowed on board to 50 and encourage people to travel only as necessary for lifeline services. We will continue to operate our regularly scheduled runs which based on our average ridership for March & April should more than accommodate passengers needs even with a 50-passenger capacity.
- Text alerts will be sent to notify customers for all packages and CVS deliveries, to avoid unnecessary trips to the ferry office. Phone calls can be made to customers without text service.
If you have not already done so please sign up for our Text Alert System to receive updates on this matter as well as information about ferry cancellations, added runs and package deliveries.
Thank you for your help and we hope that by implementing these precautions all our customers and employees will remain healthy!
Catch up on recent Prudence Bay Islands Transport Newsletters
Winter Newsletter 2019
July 4th News 2019
Spring Newsletter 2019
Holiday Newsletter 2018
To receive PBIT newsletters by email sign up with our email list!